Summer Swim Program
Red Cross Summer Swim Program 2018
Our School Mission:
“Our Mission is to inspire learning in a supportive educational environment in order to prepare our students for achievement as engaged citizens in this ever-changing world.”
Watkins Glen is a member of the Interscholastic Athletic Conference and competes in 16 sports on the Varsity, Junior Varsity and Junior High levels (both boys’ and girls’). Sportsmanship and spirit are emphasized, though excellence has been achieved as well.
In recent years, Watkins Glen has won a number of team and individual league and sectional championships. Most notably in Boys' and Girls' Cross Country, Boys' and Girls’ Swimming and Diving, JV Boys' and Girls' Basketball, Varsity Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys' and Girls' Golf, Wrestling, Cheerleading, Boys' and Girls' Bowling, and Boys Track and Field . The school has also produced one New York State wrestling champion, eight 100+ career win wrestlers and several individual athletes who are continuing their academic and athletic careers at major universities across the country.
For more information regarding Athletics at Watkins Glen, please contact Athletic Director Rod Weeden - email email@example.com or call 607-535-3210, ext 1603. The Secretary for Athletics is Tracie McIlroy firstname.lastname@example.org at 607-535-3280.
Procedures for Establishing a New Sport at Watkins Glen
Students, teachers, staff, or parents may initiate the process for establishing a new sport or expanding an existing sport to another level. The steps listed below will be followed.
- All requests to establish a new sport or expand an existing sport to another level will initially be presented to the Watkins Glen District Athletic Administrator or Athletic Manager in writing.
- The Athletic Administrator or Manager will take the request to the District Administrative team for comment and approval for consideration.
- If the District Administrative team approves the request for consideration, the team or designee forwards the request to the Superintendent, with comments.
- The Superintendent, Administrative team and Athletic Manager gather information about each of the elements for consideration of the proposal for approval or disapproval. The following elements are considered in the approval of a new sport or the expansion of an existing sport:
- Liability and Safety
- Compatibility with Watkins Glen Central School District policies and regulations
- Compliance with the Title IX and other applicable laws
- Availability of practice and game space
- Availability of same-level competition locally
- Appropriateness for student group
- Demonstrated need/interest in the new activity
- Timeliness of the request and financial impact in relation to the WGCSD budget cycle
- Availability of staff (including sponsors, coaches, trainers)
- Availability of adequate administrative supervision
- Sustainability over time
- Availability of transportation
Contact any of the individuals listed above in writing, in order to move forward with your request.